While the long summer days are slowly drawing to a close, there is still time to have that barbecue you’ve been wanting to have. And, as conscientious individuals, it’s important to have meat-free options to grill up! Black bean burgers are great, straight forward, meat-free alternatives for both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. They are low in fat, high in fiber, and a great source of protein and iron! When done right, black bean burgers can even taste and feel like real meat. Here’s to a happy, safe, and tasty end of the summer!
2 cans Black Beans
1 cup Seasoned Breadcrumb
1/4 cup White Onion
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Garlic Clove
1 Whole Egg
1/2 teaspoon Chili PowderSalt
8 slices of Preferred Cheese
Greens to Top it With
1) Preheat an grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees, and lightly oil a baking sheet. (We recommend olive oil or coconut oil).
2) In a bowl, mash black beans with a masher until thick and pasty.
3) Finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4) In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, and preferred hot sauce.
5) Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide into reasonably sized patties.
6) If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
7) Serve immediately with your with your choice of garnishes!