Harvested year round, bananas are loaded with many nutrients! Belonging to the Musaceae family of plants, the banana plant grows 10 to 26 feet. Oh My! The cluster of fruits can contain anywhere from 50 to 150 bananas with individual fruits grouped in bunches, known as “hands,” containing 10 to 25 bananas.
Bananas are renowned for their high levels of Potassium, Vitamin B-6, and Vitamin C. A diet high in potassium can lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure and has positive effects on cardiovascular health. Hearts love bananas!
Bananas are also a good source of fiber, such as pectin. Some of the pectin in bananas is water-soluble. When bananas ripen, the proportion of water-soluble pectin increases, which is one of the main reasons why bananas turn softer as they age.
Lastly, bananas are a great healthy on-the-go snack alternative. Instead of grabbing a granola bar or trail mix, opt for a banana.
Check out this recipe for Paleo Banana Bread:
- 4 bananas, (2 1/2 cups mashed or 575 grams)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond butter (140 grams)(or coconut, sunflower seed, macadamia nut, etc butter)
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted (can substitute coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (75 grams)(or almond flour, macadamia nut meal, etc)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (gluten free or homemade)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Combine your bananas, eggs, and nut butter, and grass-fed butter in a food processor or mixing bowland mix well (if using a mixing bowl you need a good hand-mixer)
- Once all of your ingredients are blended, add in your coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and sea salt and mix well
- Pour your batter in a silicon pan and spread it evenly (you can use a loaf pan as well, just grease it well)
- Place in your preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven and flip your bread out onto a cooling rack
- Slice and serve!